New Delhi, Aug 20: Australian fast bowler Mitchell Johnson said on Sunday he was retiring from all forms of cricket as his body was "starting to shut down", almost three years after he stepped down from the international game.
The 36-year-old quit Twenty20 Big Bash League (BBL) team the Perth Scorchers last month, but had not ruled out playing in the Indian Premier League or other domestic T20 competitions.
"It's over. I've bowled my final ball. Taken my final wicket. Today I announce my retirement from all forms of cricket," Johnson said.
"I had hoped to continue playing in various Twenty20 competitions around the world until perhaps the middle of next year. But the fact is my body is starting to shut down." Johnson said he experienced back problems during this year’s IPL and “that was probably a sign that it was time to move on”.
Johnson, who made his international debut against New Zealand in Christchurch in 2005, ended up with 590 international wickets. He snared 313 Test wickets at an average of 28.40. The high point of his Test career came in the 2013-14 Ashes when he bowled with pace and venom to snare a staggering 37 wickets at just 13.97. He also gave a good account of himself in the subsequent Test series versus South Africa, picking up 22 wickets at 17.36. He played his final Test match against New Zealand in Perth during the 2015-16 season.
The fiery pacer played a key role in powering his country to their fifth World Cup triumph in 2015, bagging 15 wickets at 21.73. Johnson was also a handy batsman down the order, evidenced by his Test hundred against South Africa in Cape Town. Johnson also played for various T20 teams across the globe - Mumbai Indians, Knight Riders, Kings XI Punjab and Scorchers - and snared 123 scalps at 25.78 in the format. He also won the ICC Cricketer of the Year Award twice.